Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tried and True Casseroles

I made my Taco Casserole for dinner tonight and thought I should put the recipe on here. And then I remembered that I made Chicken Broccoli Casserole last week and I had the leftovers at work and Keely wanted me to post that recipe on here too. So, here they are -- and they are a couple of my go to recipes when I can't think of something to cook -- they are always good. Jason only likes a few casseroles and these are two that he will eat.

Taco Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup Taco Sauce (medium)
1-4oz. can diced green chiles
1-2.25oz. can sliced black olives, drained, divided
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix
1 pkg. (12 count) Taco shells, broken in pieces
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
1/8 cup sliced green onions (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12x8 baking dish (I use a 9x13). Cook beef, onion, and garlic in skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in water, taco sauce, chiles, 1/4 cup olives and seasoning mix. Cook over low heat 3-4 minutes.
Layer half of the broken taco shells on bottom of prepared dish. Cover with half of meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining shells, meat sauce and cheese.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Top with remaining olives, tomatoes and green onions. (I like to serve with chips and top with sour cream -- it's a great nacho dip).


Chicken Broccoli Casserole
5 whole large chicken breasts
2-10oz. pkg. frozen broccoli
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 heaping teaspoon curry powder
Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Ritz Cracker Crumbs

Salt & pepper chicken and wrap in foil. Cook slowly until tender. Debone, cut into large bite size pieces. Barely cook broccoli in salt water. Mix together soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder. Use 8x12 deep casserole dish. Place broccoli in bottom of dish. Place chicken evenly over broccoli. Pour sauce over the top. Completely cover with grated cheese then with the cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until hot all the way through. Serves 10-12 (I usually split the recipe in half for our family.)

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I meant to say I make that chicken divan casserole, too -- it is delicious! The only thing I do differently is poach the chicken (cover the chicken with water, turn the burner on medium-low heat so that the water doesn't come to a boil, but cooks the chicken through slowly) for 15-20 minutes or until it's not pink anymore.